Physiology I'm not sure whether I'm left or right handed. I hold my pen in my right, but this is also where I hold my fork a traditionally left handed eating tool. This confusion once led my Mum to have lengthy discussion with a teacher at school -- I think the teacher thought I was a very confused child -- I was but not because of how I hold my pen. This nicely philosophical article from Attache looks at the history of left-handers, and decides that they have the better deal: "One body of evidence, however, is becoming increasingly credible: There is a clear link between handedness and the way we learn to talk, read, and manipulate symbols. The practice of forcing a left-handed child to conform to a right-handed society is now known to be seriously detrimental to the child’s development. The practice, once widespread in many societies around the world, still exists in the United States."

No comments: