Travel Rob Penn spent his late twenties riding around the world on a bicycle. This is a short article about his general impressions, with links to related articles about the trip on the same page. He found that the human race has a kinship on a local level which isn't clear from the disagreements amongst its leaders: "In the three years it took me to ride 24,000 miles round the world, I was frequently amazed at the genuine and unmistakable trust people from the 31 countries I crossed placed in me, simply because I was riding a bicycle. Trust leads to, at a practical level, food and accommodation, but it is also a key to kinship and understanding. And in modern times, when we can be at least cursorily familiar with so much of the planet from an armchair, this is one of the greatest goals of travel. "

No comments: