Art Since my school art lessons I've been more interested in the production of art than the object or result of the act of creation. I'll read endless books about the making of films and I'll attend endless lectures about the techniques of the artist. Lynne Cerro is unusual example of someone whose works are conventional yet astounding, but for whom the expression with the paint is equally important. Unkind viewers might draw similarities with the famous Athena posters of the 70s and 80s but this isn't just unfair but insulting. As Cerro describes in this article for The Art Magazine: "There is a technique in psychoanalysis called abreaction which is the emotional release experienced by a patient when, in the presence of a safe audience, he puts into words an idea that he has been repressing. The revisiting of these feelings under a supportive environment leads to a transformation in the individual. That is the driving force behind my paintings. Even though my work is usually a person, other than myself, I still considered them to be self portraits." I wish everyone's therapy sessions were this enjoyable.

No comments: