Ugh! In my life I have walked out of three films. The first was 'Batman & Robin' - I was so annoyed about that one, I actually wrote a letter of complaint to WBUK - there is only so much dross one can take, and I needed catharsis (insidentally I know the letter doesn't have my name on it, but it is me - oh how some nicknames can look odd in the cold light of day). The second film was 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' because it was the third bad film in a row that day and by then my tollerance was low (although not as low as the day I saw a double-bill of 'I Still Know What You Did Last Summer' and '8mm' - oooh...). The third film was tonight: 'Tear of the Black Tiger' is by no means an easy film to watch but after an hour of techicolour cowboys in a homo-erotic setting, the train home looked deeply inviting. There is little doubt the film is lush to the eye, but at no point (other than captions) is there any attempt to engage the audience. The joke may have blistered for ten minutes or so, but after an hour ... anyway I left, the eyes of the audience on me - and I know at least one of them was thinking - 'humourless bastard' ...

No comments: