Erm... The only gap in the conversation came when we were talking about film. We'd gotten onto the subject of film adaptations (it was a busy journey) and Clare made the sweeping statement that there 'never been any good remakes'. I was thrown by this, not because I don't like generalisations (I try to make at least three a day), but because I couldn't think of any. So I said I'd look on the Internet Movie Database and post a possible list on the weblog...and here we are. We decided on a couple of rules: the remake should be by the same director (so no Hitchcock or Robert Rodriguez) and that re-imaginings of the same material didn't count either (costume dramas and 'Never Say Never Again'). Anyway, here is the list:
Cape Fear (Scorsese - remake of um - Cape Fear)
Twelve Monkeys (Gilliam - remake of La Jetee)
Always (remake of A Guy Named Joe)
Scarface (De Palma remaking well - Scarface)
The Thomas Crown Affair
All pretty questionable I suppose, so Clare - erm - you may actually be right...also deeply shocked to find some nunce is remaking one of my top five French movies, Chacun cherche son chat (1996) (When the Cat's Away) in America with Heather Graham. Noooo...

No comments: